Wednesday, October 2, 2013

From Scratch - Granola Bars

I love oats.  Not the slimy gray instant version, but the golden, steel cut oats.  They take longer to cook, but when I have time that is what I love for breakfast.  My hubby never has time to wait for oats to cook, so I started making him homemade granola bars.  They keep him full until lunch and the honey gives him a little boost of energy first thing in the morning. 

I have given out the recipe many times over and everybody I know who makes them seems to love them.  So I thought I would share a healthy, homemade breakfast option here.  You might be wondering why we don't just buy granola bars and save the time, effort and energy.  We used to but then I started reading the ingredients and researching the preservatives used, not only in the bars but also in the packaging.  Too many chemicals and too much corn syrup for us!  I don't know where I originally found this recipe, but as always I have modified it many times over to get what I feel like is the perfect end result.  I encourage you to do the same, play with recipes until you are happy with the outcome!

Ingredients:

2 cups oats (not quick)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg (you can leave the egg out, the bars will just be slightly denser)
1/2 cup add-ins (sliced almonds, chopped pecans, coconut, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a stand mixer or mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Then add the oil, honey, vanilla and egg and mix on medium speed until all ingredients are well combined.

Press the mixture into a lightly oiled 9X13 glass baking dish.  You will really have to use your hands to spread the thick mixture into the dish.



Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove and cut into serving sizes before they cool completely.  They should hold together well and come out of your dish fairly easily.



 
Enjoy a breakfast or snack you can feel good about!  Natural, Healthy, Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment