Monday, October 7, 2013

From Scratch - Pesto

Tonight we had crab ravioli for dinner, which I did not make from scratch.  On mine I had wonderful, delicious pesto, which I did make from scratch.  I LOVE pesto and eat it on pasta, pizza, fresh baked bread, in salad and more.  It can be pricey if you buy it at a health food store, so I grow my own little basil garden in the summer and then prepare enough to last for the winter. 



Here is my recipe(with variations) which, in my opinion, makes a delicious pesto.

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh basil
    Variation:  1 cup basil, 1 cup carrot tops
    Variation 2:  1 cup basil, 1 cup fresh spinach
1 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (you can add a little more if you like your pesto less thick)


Directions:

Process all ingredients in the food processor.  Place serving size spoonfuls into an ice tray.  Place in freezer until thoroughly frozen.  Pop them out of tray and store in freezer bag or other sealable container.

When I want some pesto I usually just thaw it in a hot water bath and spread it on my hot pasta.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.  Natural, Healthy, Pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment