Saturday, November 9, 2013

Caring for your Bamboo Utensils and Cutting Boards

According to my dad, who is in his 70's, we live in the throw-away society.  Many of the younger members (age 40 and under) of society buy expensive toys on credit, misuse and abuse said toys, and then throw them away just to turn around and repeat the whole process.  Sadly, I think he might be right.  I look around and see people buying things they can't afford and then not even taking care of them properly.  This can apply to expensive things like homes, cars, furniture or technology and less spendy items like small appliances, tools, or clothes.  I'm not sure of the reasons behind this phenomenon, but I am thankful that my mom and dad took the time to instill in me the joy of caring for what I have, be it much or be it little. 
 
All that to say, I want to teach you how to take care of your bamboo utensils and cutting boards so that they last for years and years.  I LOVE my bamboo.  It isn't excessively expensive, but it holds up so well, especially considering how much I use it.  Bamboo is also naturally anti-bacterial, which is fabulous for the cutting boards that are used for meats. 
 
The first rule of thumb when using bamboo is to NEVER put it in the dishwasher.  The sanitizing hot water is great for your glass ware, but not for bamboo.  The drying cycle is even worse for bamboo and can cause splitting and cracking.  To wash, simply use warm water and mild soap.  Allow to air dry.
 
In addition to hand-washing, it is necessary to oil your bamboo regularly.  When bamboo is brand new it is important to "season" it by conditioning it once per week.  After a month of weekly oilings you should only need to oil them once per month. 
 
I have read several websites suggesting the use of food grade mineral oil. As a rule, I generally don't like mineral oil as it is a petroleum product.  It is also difficult to find and expensive.  I decided to try coconut oil and the results were amazing! 
 
The process was simple:
 
I melted a scoop of coconut oil in a hot water bath. 
  
Using a paper towel moistened with the melted oil I gently rubbed all of my bamboo. 


 

I left everything to absorb and soak in for 24 hours.


 
Lastly, I rinsed everything in luke wark water and allowed it to air dry.  The result?  Naturally conditioned bamboo utensils and cutting boards.  I love knowing that I can use them for years to come and won't have to run out and buy new ones every few months because of cracks.  My dad would be so proud!  Natural, Healthy, Well-Cared For Bamboo!  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment