Saturday, February 8, 2014

Delicious Whole Wheat Brownies



I have a confession.  I don't like brownies.  Before you decide to hate me, let me explain.  I don't like brownies from a box.  I LOVE brownies from scratch.  I have tried a lot of recipes and found one that I like.  And then of course I changed it and now I love it.  I really like baking with whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour.  My only exception is pie crust (but that's for another day).  So here is my recipe for whole wheat brownies.  


Delicious Whole Wheat Brownies

Ingredients
1 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 
white whole wheat flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and/or white chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.

Mix the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.

In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir well to make sure it is completely mixed.  Gradually mix the flour mixture into the sugar and butter mixture until well blended. Add in the chocolate chips. Evenly spread the batter into the baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (this is tricky because the chips can make the brownies look underdone), 40 to 45 minutes. Remove and cool before cutting.


These are good warm, but they are even better after they have cooled and the chips have had a chance to harden.

I hope you enjoy these delicious whole wheat brownies as much as my family does!

No comments:

Post a Comment