Friday, September 20, 2013

From Scratch - Salsa

 
Who doesn't love the taste of fresh salsa?  With all the tacos we eat at our house, salsa is almost a staple.  My favorite is restaurant style salsa, but it is hard to find in stores and never tastes quite right.  We had some recently that tasted like spaghetti sauce.  I actually double checked the jar to make sure it was indeed salsa.  Homemade with garden fresh ingredients is definitely the best.
 
My amazingly generous neighbor has been giving me tomatoes and peppers from her garden all summer.  I had one sad tomato this year and my darling daughter picked it and took it right over to her to share.  A great demonstration of generosity on my daughter's part, but I was a little sad to see that tomato go.  But my sweet neighbor has repaid me a 100 fold or more.  
 
 
I canned and froze tomatoes, made pasta sauce, and salsa.  I canned salsa for the winter and I have made it to eat immediately.  And it does get eaten immediately.  My family finds a fresh jar in the fridge and it is gone before I even know that they found it.  I guess that means they like it :)
 
 

 
 
Salsa Recipe
 
Ingredients:
 
10 Roma tomatoes (or any tomato will work)
1 jalapeño pepper (seeds removed for mild, a few for medium and all for hot)
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of homemade taco seasoning (see the following post for recipe)
 
Directions:
 
Roughly chop tomatoes, pepper and cilantro.  Throw everything into the food processor and process until it is as chunky or smooth as you like.  I use the pulse so I can control the texture a little easier.
**a word of caution, be very careful handling the pepper and do not touch your eyes, mouth etc if you touch any of the seeds** 
 
Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!  We also eat ours on salad with avocado, with tacos, on mac and cheese, and more!  Natural, Healthy, Salsa!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment