Monday, September 16, 2013

Simple Homemade Eye Makeup Remover

I love to save money.  Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love to sale shop and use coupons and usually at the same time.  75% off minus an additional 20% and a $5 off coupon -- Yep that's me!  Sometimes I go "free" shopping.  No, I'm not shoplifting.   "Free" shopping is when I have so many coupons that I get the item for free, or pretty darn close!  I once came home from Kohl's with a beautiful skirt originally priced at $39.  I paid $0.25 for that skirt. That was a happy night.

So what does that have to do with eye makeup remover?  Well, in my effort to remove chemicals from even my beauty products, I started purchasing my cleansers and moisturizers at our local Natural Grocers.  (I LOVE this store!)  One drawback to chemical free living is that it can be pricey especially in the area of beauty and hygiene.  Chemical products are much cheaper to make and mass produce than natural ones are and therefore, you end up spending a little bit more for the natural products.  I found that my eye makeup remover kept running out very quickly.  Too quickly when it was almost $8.00 per bottle. (This is where my thriftiness ties in.) 

I decided that it couldn't be that complicated to make and found that I was correct.  I came across a recipe online and tried it out.  It called for distilled water, castile soap and olive oil.  This combination was a little too greasy.  So I tried leaving the oil out and that created to much drag and pulling.  I had a little bottle of jajoba oil that I had purchased for something else and tried that in place of the olive oil.  And viola!  It was perfect.

Here is my recipe:

1/2 cup distilled water
1/4 teaspoon liquid castile soap. (I like Doctor Bonner's Baby Mild Liquid Soap)
1/2 teaspoon jajoba oil



Use a funnel to put the ingredients into a small container. Remember to shake before each use.  Put a little remover on a cotton ball, eye makeup should come off easily with no scrubbing. 

I love this stuff and it costs pennies to make.  Here's to being natural, healthy, beautiful and thrifty!

No comments:

Post a Comment