Wednesday, September 18, 2013

From Scratch - Taco Seasoning

At our house we love tacos, crunchy tacos, soft tacos, taco salad...you get the point, and now I am hungry!  But were having a problem with our meat.  I never have been able to eat taco seasoning, because it gave me terrible stomach issues.  (Most likely due to the added chemicals so common in season mixes.)  So, we always just sprinkled our meat with salt and pepper.  That was way too bland so I started throwing in some cumin and cilantro, then a little chili powder and some garlic powder.  Suddenly the meat wasn't so bland anymore.

Rather than pulling out all the spices each time I make tacos, I now premix my seasoning and store it in a mason jar.  I found a recipe on pinterest, but it only made enough seasoning for one pan of meat and I didn't like how it tasted at all.  I eliminated some of the ingredients, added some others, adjusted all of the measurements and then multiplied the whole thing times eight.  The mixture makes enough seasoning to fill a pint sized canning jar half way.  This amount normally lasts us about 4-6 months, but we eat a lot of tacos!  I will share my recipe and encourage you to do some experimenting of your own to end up with the perfect seasoning for your tacos.



Taco Seasoning Mix

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chili powder (I like Hatch mild or medium chili powder)
3 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano



Place all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir until well combined.  Store in an airtight container.  OR you can put all of the ingredients into a pint sized mason jar, filling it halfway, put on the lid and then shake until it is mixed.



When I make tacos I just sprinkle a tablespoon or so over the meat and we are ready to go.  I also use it on grilled corn on the cob, in my salsa, in my chicken enchilada mixture, in chili, and sometimes sprinkled on top of cornbread before I bake it.  It's a great little mix, whenever you want to add a little kick.  What's even better is that there are no added chemicals.  No tummy aches and yummy, zesty tacos.  Natural, Healthy, Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment