Sunday, September 22, 2013

Soothing Lip Balm

We live in a harsh dry climate, especially in the winter.  I am constantly finding myself and my children with dry, chapped lips.  With our cold, windy months coming up quickly I decided to whip up a batch of my homemade lip balm.  It is so easy and the balm is silky smooth and even a little glossy.  It keeps my lips soft and moisturized and is completely chemical free. 
 
Ingredients: 
3 teaspoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons shea butter
1 teaspoon bee's wax



Directions: 
First I cut off a small chunk of bee's wax.  I melt that, by placing it into a glass bowl and then boiling that bowl in a shallow pan of water.  Once it is melted it is much easier to measure.  While my bee's wax is melting, I place the shea butter and coconut oil into a small pot on the stove and set it on the lowest setting possible.  Shea butter can become very grainy if it is not melted at low temperatures.  As soon as my bee's wax is melted and measured, I add that to the pot of melted shea butter and coconut oil. 



After all ingredients are combined, I pour them into the containers that I want to keep them in.  You can use small glass containers, plastic chap stick tubes or stainless tubes.  Normally you can find empty containers at your local health food store (which is also where I found my bee's wax).  This time I put mine in stainless tubes.  You are going to want to work very fast as the bee's wax hardens fairly quickly.  After I have poured the lip balm into the containers, I place them in the refrigerator to harden completely.  They will stay solid at room temperature and should go on smoothly. 

Soothing Lip Balm - Natural, Healthy, Beautiful!





No comments:

Post a Comment